Here are a few fireplace and heating device safety tips:
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks jumping out.
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace.
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, on a non-wooden surface, at least 3 feet from your home.
- Have your fireplace and chimney regularly inspected for creosote build up, and to be certain that birds and rodents haven’t nested in it creating potential chimney fire hazards.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment.
- Have equipment cleaned and inspected each year.
- Have your wood, coal or pellet stoves professionally installed.
- Have your wood, coal or pellet stove flue inspected annually.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from your furnace, fireplace, wood stove, coal stove, pellet stove or portable space heater.
- Plug portable heaters directly into outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.
- Turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
Please follow and like us: