Driving in the snow or any winter weather can be pretty dangerous. Here are some tips to help keep you safe when driving on snowy or icy roads.
- Avoid sudden stops and quick direction changes
- Don't use cruise control when driving on slippery surfaces
- Bridges can be icy when other road surfaces are not
- Drive slowly - stopping and turning take longer on icy roads
- Give yourself extra time
- If you find yourself sliding on an icy road - do NOT hit the brakes, slowly take your foot off the accelerator
Winter Driving Tips
Give yourself EXTRA time. A lot of extra time.
Go slow – seriously, drive much slower than you normally would.
Leave a lot of space between you an the car in front of you. More than you think you need.
Keep your gas tank and windshield washer fluid full.
Check your tires and make sure there’s enough air in them at all times.
Clear that exhaust pipe – check it often.